The NETS-T standard that I would like to become more proficient in is “Designing and Developing Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments”. This standard encourages personalization of learning activities that use technology and address students’ diverse strengths and abilities. First, I would like to increase my knowledge of strategies and technologies in order to make this a more realistic possibility in my classroom. Additionally, the standard includes an indicator that demands a “technology rich environment that enables all students to pursue their individual curiosities” (NETS-T). In order to do this, I would like to apply for a grant that would allow me to bring new forms of technology into my classroom; our school does not have the most up-to-date technology available, and I think that I could find worthwhile resources to bring in to my classroom for the benefit of my kids. These goals-to learn new strategies and technologies-and to make those technologies a reality through grants-seem doable with the proper amount of dedication.
In order to make these goals happen, I need to expand my professional reading; I should be reviewing more educational and technological publications in order to expose myself to new technologies that could be useful in a secondary English classroom. Additionally, I need to start seeking out grants that would apply to my goals. I know there are grants available for projects of this nature; I simply haven’t taken the time to seek them out, and I think that I should.
If these goals are to become a reality, I need to self-regulate and make them a priority despite my hectic schedule. I could ensure better progress by subscribing to several publications, and making sure I read each before the next issue comes out; by setting this timeline for myself, I can monitor my own progress. Furthermore, I should apply for more than one grant and mark the calendar with due dates, notification dates, etc. so that I can better track my needs for this task.
I can evaluate my own progress by reflecting periodically (again, maybe give myself dates for this!) on what I’ve learned and by gauging how much I’ve been able to share with my colleagues. I think it would be unrealistic to evaluate my success based on whether or not I immediately earn a grant. However, I should keep plugging away and honing the quality of my applications until I am successful and am able to bring more technology to my students.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being Digital Savvy
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that in order for educators to be as digital savvy as the students are -- and to be one step ahead of them in order to teach them -- it's important to be informed of the latest in technology trends.
Some resources I've used to help me keep in touch with what's going on in the tech world are:
http://www.cnet.com/ (great starting place for knowing what's the latest in technology tools!)
http://www.cue.org/ (a fellow teacher went a conference by CUE and got a lot out of it)
http://en.childrenslibrary.org/
http://www.p21.org/index.php (a great place for technology-use ideas for curriculum building)
http://content.dell.com/us/en/gen/d/k12/21stCenturyLearning.aspx?dgc=DC&cid=52153&lid=1343004 (Dell's 21st Century Learning site)
There are certainly far more out there on the web, but these along with Edutopia are really good starting points for keeping abreast of how to better involve ourselves as educators in technology integration.
Great blog for thought!
Richard-
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing what look to be some great resources-personally, I was only familiar with the p21 site prior to your post. I am grateful for the suggestions, and hopefully one of these sites will spark an idea for a grant proposal.
Have a great week,
Amanda
Kelly-
ReplyDeleteThank you for the feedback! You make a good point about free materials-I sometimes forget about or under emphasize the wealth of information and resources available that don't require funding at all!
And you are right, I've never heard of Thinkport, but I look forward to exploring-it's always great to learn of a new site.
Thanks again,
Amanda
When talk among teachers turns to technology, there is often a great deal of buck-passing. We bewail our ancient computers and despair over the difficulty of booking the computer lab. You, however, have decided to take steps to overcome the limitations your current technology imposes on you. I agree that there are plenty of worthwhile resources you could access given the funding, and this is a great first step to developing your own digital proficiency as well as that of your students.
ReplyDeleteHaving never applied for a grant of this nature either, I cannot offer you any personal advice. I do know that the NEA Foundation Web site (2011) has a frequently-updated page that provides information on available grants. Perhaps there is someone in your technology department who might offer some additional direction?
In the meantime, however, don’t forget all the free resources that are readily available. I read your post about Slam (Roberts, 2009), so I know you are aware of the powerful tools available on Google. Another of my favorite sites (and one you may not have stumbled upon) is Thinkport (http://www.thinkport.org). It was developed as a resource for Maryland educators, but much of the information is available to the public. There is a wide variety of interactive applications, lesson plans, and how-to tools. I have built several successful lessons around elements on this site. There is sufficient information to allow for differentiation, and my students are always engaged by the content. I hope it’s one you find useful.
References
NEA Foundation. (2011). Grants to educators. Retrieved March 11, 2011, from http://www.neafoundation.org/pages/educators/grant-programs/
Roberts, L. (2011, March 9). Enriching learning experiences through technology [Online discussion group]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=4889560&Survey=1&47=6111808&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1