Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Carrying Out My GAME Plan

In order to make my GAME plan a reality, I will need to take several steps. First of all, I will need to seek out some additional educational resources; publications, websites, etc. I can borrow them from the school library, take out a few more subscriptions, and trade resources with fellow teachers. Some of my Walden colleagues have already been gracious enough to offer suggestions, and for that I am grateful!

Additionally, I will need to find a grant to apply for. This is going to be a bit more challenging, I think. I will start by looking through the publications and resources previously mentioned to see if anything feasible is listed there. I will also look for more local opportunities, and talk to my colleagues and Union reps to see what else is out there.

To be honest, I have not made much progress thus far. I am coaching softball and assistant directing the school musical, and for the next two weeks the two activities overlap. However, I am hopeful that once the hecticness of March is behind me, I will be able to focus on my GAME plan more thoroughly.

6 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Life can be hectic and throw us some curve balls, and I understand that while we make goals we don't always get far with them because of other life commitments. I encourage you to take the time when you find it and look into the resources available to you. It sounds like you have really thought about the resources that you can utilize--you just need to get them. When looking for a grant make sure you look at Federal and State government opportunities.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    It sounds as if you have a lot on your plate. For me, it seems that when it rains, it pours, so I am wishing you no rain and only sunny skies. I am not sure where to find grants either. If you discover a great place, please let me know too. I wanted to write a grant for iTouches to use in my school. Your colleagues sound very supportive and a wonderful resource for you and when you are implementing your GAME plan.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. To everyone,

    I am probably going to kick myself in the behind because by giving everyone this information I am creating more competition. ING has a grant that is available for educators. They are giving away $2000 to someone in all fifty states, a $5000, $10000 and grand prize $20,000 grant. The deadline is in April but the application process is not that hard. Here is a link to a webpage that contains the grant's application: http://ing.us/about-ing/citizenship/childrens-education/ing-unsung-heroes.
    Good luck everyone.

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura and Kimberly-

    Thank you for your words of encouragement; I don't want to make excuses for myself, but as we all know in this business some times of the year are far crazier than others and I happen to be in the thick of it! I really do want to find some grants soon, because I have some projects in mind that I think would be truly worthwhile. After this week, the play will be over, things will calm down, and I will apply myself more seriously!

    Have a great week!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie-

    Thank you for sharing! I looked at the site, and it seems like such an admirable program. I almost feel guilty considering applying! We'll see if I get it done in time, but regardless I am grateful for your willingness to share-and when I find something good, I promise to return the favor =)

    Happy Spring!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,

    You are welcome and the process doesn't take that long to complete. I have been working on it for less then three hours here and there and I am almost finished.

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete