I will admit that I currently have a "blog" for my classes, but it is not used in a way that truly utilizes the technology. The space is mainly used to post homework assignments; occasionally, I will post reminders, school events, or other tidbits on the blog, but it is a one-sided conversation regardless. I do not use the blog for communication with and between students, and that is where its greatest value lies.
I teach 10th and 11th grade English, and I think the blog would be wonderful for in-depth or thought provoking "journal-like" responses tied to the literature read throughout my courses. Oftentimes in the beginning of a unit, we will talk about themes and ideas that will be addressed in the novel, and a class blog would be a wonderful place to get the discussion going.
I also think that blogs could provide a boost for my school's summer reading program. Our district has an out-of-date summer reading assignment that, in my opinion, does not challenge or inspire the students. A committee is currently working on a new summer reading program to be implemented for Summer 2011, and I am beginning to wonder if blogging could be incorporated.
Though it would be difficult for 2011-2012 class blogs to be developed (the students don't know their English teachers for the next school year until the first day of class), I wonder if there could be a way to pull it off. For instance, if a student is leaving my class and going to Ms. Miller's class the following year, I wonder if they could complete the blogging experience with kids from my class, and Ms. Miller could subscribe to RSS feeds for all her kids come September? The kinks would have to be worked out, but I think that discussion via blogs over the summer would be exciting to the kids, and could perhaps be the answer we need to the Summer Reading problem!
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think your idea of using blogs to stimulate discussion about a novel is an excellent idea. “Journal Like” entries provide an infinite amount of opportunities for everybody’s voice to be heard. I also think having your students blog over the summer is a wonderful idea! Similar to this week’s learning resources, Kathy Martin had her 6th grade class discuss any worries or fears they had about entering 7th grade. Maybe, a letter-head memo could be sent home addressing their English assignment and welcoming them to a summer learning blog. My only suggestion is to discuss with your students the blogging etiquette, because you can never assume that students understand how to blog appropriately.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Jessica Torok
Hey Jessica-
ReplyDeleteThank you for the suggestion! I think that if it would become a district-wide project (my ultimate goal and hope!) than we would have to do something to address netiquette in a widespread format-perhaps even an assembly! Regardless, it's an important part of this process that cannot be overlooked, especially because we are dealing with kids.
Take care!
Amanda
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI think utilizing your blog for the summer reading program is a great way to "do different things rather than "doing things differently." How many of your students have computers at home or easy access to the internet? In my district we have a lot of (very) poor and transient students. I would love to use blogs for summer reading but I am also hesitant about it. As for etiquette, I was surprised at how thoughtful and polite my students were when they posted comments.
Robert Newell